Day 1 for me was all about hugs and seeing all of my friends and colleagues from Kansas and a few from Missouri, too. Lots of networking and seeing people I haven’t seen in 3 years…but many who I keep in touch with via Facebook. A great tool for an ex-pat Kansan living in Philadelphia. I confess, I also went to lunch with a friend from Tongie and bought new shoes.
Here’s the keynote Slideshow “The Architecture of Understanding” by Peter Morville @morville:
Five Languages of Appreciation in the Workplaceb – Gail Santy
I am VERY sad I missed Gail’s program on the 5 Languages of Appreciation in the Workplace (based on the book by Gary Chapman and Paul White). Luckily, I ran into someone who had an extra set of handouts! Woot. I am a huge fan of the Love Language book, so I will be reading this one, too. Here’s the Web site: http://www.appreciationatwork.com
Cues that Appreciation is needed:
- Irritability and Resistance
- Increased Absenteeism or Tardiness
- Cynicism and Sarcasm
- Apathy and Passivity
- Social Withdrawal
- Negative Work Environment
How to Communicate Meaningful & Effective Appreciation:
- “Make sure your communication is personalized and individualized.” The recipient need stop “feel you mean what you say and that you took time to think about them personally.”
- “Communicate appreciation in the language or languages that are most important to the recipient.”
- “By learning a person’s language of appreciation you can give and receive feedback and appreciation in a way that can be effective.”
- The ways people experience appreciation:
- Words of Affirmation
- Quality Time
- Acts of Service
- Tangible Gifts
- Appropriate Physical Touch
- “Each person has their own preferred ‘language of appreciation.’ And within each language, there are specific actions that are most valued by the individual.”
- SO: Figure out what kind of appreciation (love) language a person responds to, and deliver it in that way. easy peasy, right?
Reception at the Central Library. I heard Rudy’s will be there and I hope that means there are chicken tacos!!!