ConverStation program with Mid-Continent Library System with Steve Potter
You must be able to memorize your mission statement. If it’s too long, it’s a manifesto!
Why is a good Mission Statemetn good? What makes it good?
- active voice
- built around action verbs and actionable
- no jargon
- Who is it for? staff or patrons?
- “Bump up decisions against it” – Mickey
- Know your audience – is this an internal or external document
- Example: “uncensored equal access for all citizens.”
- Statement should get to the Why? then the How? and then the actual work (like Sinek says)
- Broad enough to be open to opportunities but narrow enough to focus you and your organization
- Succinct v. broad with a Vision statement to focus the money and financials?
- What’s is use?
- What is specific to libraries – what do we do that is unique and important enough to put in a vision?
- Avoid fluff
- Avoid jargon
- Hard to find the WHY – Curiosity, open access, enjoyment. Look at Anythink Mission – “We Open Doors for Curious Minds.”
Strategic Priorities – do they go Under the statement?
- Do not be hap-hazard
- Broad and inclusive – then narrow the mission later or with other elements
- Foundation – core beliefs.
- Too broad manes you can’t measure success
- Ho do you show success and impact?
- Experience? Learning? Early Literacy? Meeting Place? Community Center?
- Create KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS. Benchmarks – How what you do impacts the Big Picture
- Becomes a Cultural Project – what kind of organization are you?
- Nordstroms v. Library — 1 page of guides v. multiple binders
- Intellectual freedom, fairness, integrity – HIRE for CULTURAL Fit.
- To live the mission – how do we communicate it?
- Branding – Ritz Carlton Example… Can you articulate the vision/mission?
How do you communicate it?
- Paint it on the wall like ALA does!
- Talk about it at meetings
- Activities and games to learn the statement
- Add to job descriptions and add it ass a measurable – “promote mission statement”
- Desktop, Facebook, Website, Etc.
- Learn where you fit in this Library Tribe
- How do you indoctrinate the Board??