We had our first post-crash Web Work Day today and I think it went well. The Dashboard is user friendly and the new Image widget/plug-in makes side-bar buttons a snap. Other points worth sharing:
- Look for the Blue Buttons – they do stuff, like save and publish and update
- The Media Library rocks, as does the new Edit Image functions built into WordPress
- Understanding the functions of Categories, Link Categories, Pages and Posts makes arranging associated sidebar widgets easier.
- In KLOW, searching for and installing a new theme is a snap – video forthcoming on the project site.
- Understanding that when you first select a theme, certain widgets appear by default, even though the Sidebar 1 or Sidebar 2 tabs on the Widgets page look empty. Once you add a widget to any of the sidebars, all of the defaults will disappear.
- WordPress treats Links with high regard – they’re special and good and can be categorized and those categorized links can be put into a sidebar (all alone or with all other link categories).
- Messing with CSS is fun, if you know how to do it…but frustrating if you don’t. I’m of the camp – find a theme you like as-is or one that has cool Theme Options.
- Last – the WordPress CODEX is great, so use it.