Poor Chris is voice-less. Be kind to him and use sign language.
Under the Hood with MySQL with Joe Atzberger
- Keeping kohasructure.sql in synch with mysql/updatedatabase.pl defines your Koha version (version number)
- We need read only access (command line) to our database – so we can see ALL 125 tables and how they relate!
- Tools – phpMyAdmin, MySQL Admin or Query Browser (free), or OSS
- Design principles: limit dup values, put related data together, proper data typing, keys and indexes
- Bib Data Problems – MARC not a relational design, has limits on record dimensions and performance implications
- Legacy code and data – UNIMARC v. MARC21 issues
- FRBR, holdings, bindings, serials (bound periodicals) – when / where will FRBR be implemented?
- Core Tables: SysPref (key) :: Branches (most referenced by other tables & hard to delete) :: Borrowers (staff & patrons) :: Biblio (title level) > Biblioitems (marc & marcxml going away soon / historical & query speed – in future avoid “*” queries) :: Items (barcodes)
- Parallel tables: deletedxxx or old_xxx: old_issues, old_reservese etc. Inactive transactions are copied off to the old_issues table (b/c high volume) Joe says we need more for high volumne transactions – same structure, but different constraints. Need an “old_fines” – Ryan working on the fines issue – pending as active, historical as “old” –
- Look at deleted borrowers table for ‘missing’ patrons
- Black Magicks – marc_subfield_structure and marc_tag_structure – allows for MARC21 & UNIMARC (on the fly)
- Paul covered Structure, Nicole handled queries – what’s left? Pretty DB Scheme Picture
Looking at the Circ Wizard generated SQL statements and there are multiple! I have no idea if this can be transferred to the SQL report builder.